Aquatic, Wetland and Invasive Plant Glossary
| j | k
| q | r
Click one of the letters above to be taken to a page of all terms beginning with that letter.
- abaxial search for term
- - a. (L. ab, from; axis, axle) that surface of any structure which is remote or turned away from the axis, such as the lower surface of a leaf.
- acaulescent search for term
- - a. (Gr. a, without; kaulos, stalk) having no stem or seemingly without a stem.
- accessory flower parts search for term
- - sepal and petal organs found on flowers. The sepals and petals are not essential for pollination but may aid in attracting insects or other organisms.
- achene search for term
- - n. (Gr. a, not; chainein, to gape) any small, dry fruit with one seed whose outer covering (pericarp) does not burst when ripe.
- acicular search for term
- - a. (L. acicula, a small needle) slender and pointed; needle-like and with a sharp point.
- acropetal search for term
- - a. (Gr. akros, summit; L. petere, to seek) developing upward from the base toward the apex.
- actinomorphic search for term
- - a. (Gr. aktis, ray; morphe, form) descriptive of a flower or set of flower parts which can be cut through the center into equal and similar parts along two or more planes; having radial symmetry.
- aculeus search for term
- - n. (L. aculeus, prickle) a prickle growing from bark. pl. aculei.
- acumen search for term
- - n. (L. acumen, a point, a sting) the point of an acuminate leaf.
- acuminate search for term
- - a. drawn out into a long point; tapering point.
- acute search for term
- - a. (L. acutus, sharpened) sharp at the end; ending in a sharp point.
- adaxial search for term
- - a. (L. ad, to; axis, axle) pertaining to the side of an organ toward the axis, such as the upper surface of a leaf.
- adnate search for term
- - a. (L. adnatus, to be born, to grow to) fusion of unlike structures or parts.
- adventitious search for term
- - a. (L. adventitius, extraneous) plant structures or tissue occurring in an abnormal positon.
- adventive search for term
- - a. (L. advenire, to arrive) a plant that is not native to the environment.
- aerenchyma search for term
- - n. (Gr. aer, air; enchyma, an infusion) parenchyma tissue with large and abundant intercellular air spaces; air-storing tissue; resembles the tissue of cork.
- aggregate search for term
- - a. (L. ad, to; gregare, to collect into a flock) crowded into a cluster; a number of separate fruits from a single flower aggregated together; an aggregate flower is formed by a cluster of carples.
- allele search for term
- - n. (Gr. allelon, one another) one of a pair or more of alternative hereditary characters; a gene which can occupy the same locus as another gene in a particular chromosome.
- allelochemicals search for term
- - compounds that have an allelopathic effect.
- allelopathy search for term
- - n. (Gr. allelon, one another; pathos, suffering) the influence or effect of one living plant upon another; refers to biochemical interaction between all types of plants and its effect depends on a chemical compound being added to the environment.
- alternate search for term
- - a. (L. alteratus, one after another) said of leaves occurring one at a node; said also of members of adjacent whorls in the flower when any member of one whorl is in front of or behind the junction of two adjacent members of the succeeding whorl.
- alternation of generations search for term
- - the occurrence in one life history of two or more different forms differently produced, usually an alternation of a sexual with an asexual form.
- alveola search for term
- - n. (L. alveolus, small cavity) a pit on the surface of an organ.
- alveolate search for term
- - a. (L. alveolatus, pitted) deeply pitted so as to resemble a honeycomb, as are the surfaces of some seeds or achenes.
- anaerobiosis search for term
- - n. (L. Gr. an, without; aer, air; biosis, manner of life) life in the absence of air or free oxygen; anaerobic respiration, respiration occurring in the absence of oxygen.
- anastomosis search for term
- - n. (Gr. ana, up to; stoma, mouth) connecting by cross-veins and forming a network.
- anatomy search for term
- - n. (LL. anatomia, dissection) the branch of morphology that deals with the structure of plants, esp. the internal structure as revealed by the microscope.
- androecium search for term
- - n. (Gr. andros, man; oikos, house) male reproductive organs of a plant; a collective term applied to all structures of the stamen whorl or whorls.
- androgynal search for term
- - a. (Gr. andros, man; gonos, woman) bearing staminate and pistillate flowers on the same parent stem.
- androgynous search for term
- - staminate flowers above the pistillate flowers in the same inflorescence.
- androphore search for term
- - n. (Gr. aner, man; phoros, carrying) a support or column, formed by fusion of filaments, on which the stamens are borne.
- anemophily search for term
- - n. (Gr. anemos, wind; philein, to love) pollination by wind.
- Angiospermae search for term
- - n. (Gr. anggeion, vessel; sperma, seed) a major division of the plant kingdom, commonly called flowering plants as their reproductive organs are in flowers, having seeds which develop in a closed ovary made of carpels, a very reduced gametophyte, and endosperm develop from a triple fusion nucleus. pl. Angiosperms.
- annual search for term
- - a. (L. annualis, yearly, from annus, year) a plant which completes its life history within a year.
- anoxia search for term
- - n. (L. an, not; and oxygen) lack of oxygen or not enough oxygen.
- anther search for term
- - n. (Gr. antheros, flowery, from anthein, to bloom) the top of the stamen, usually elevated by means of a filament, which contains the pollen.
- anthesis search for term
- - n. (Gr. anthesis, bloom, from anthein, to bloom) stage or period during which the flower bud is fully open; flowering.
- antrorse search for term
- - a. (L. ante, before; vertere, to turn) forward or upward.
- apetalous search for term
- - a. (Gr. a, without; petalon, leaf) having flowers without petals; having no corolla.
- apical search for term
- - a. (L. apex, the tip or top of a thing) at the tip or summit.
- apiculate search for term
- - a. (LL. apiculatus, point) terminated abruptly by a small, distinct point, an apiculus or apicule.
- apocarpous search for term
- - a. (Gr. apo, away; karpos, fruit) having separate carpels.
- apomixis search for term
- - n. (Gr. apo, away; mixis, a mixing) in general, reproducing without sexual reproduction; often used to denote seed production without a sexual process having been involved.
- appressed search for term
- - a., adv. (L. ad, to; pressare, to press) lying flat or close against something. Often used for hairs.
- aquatic plants search for term
- - plants that must grow in water whether rooted in the mud or floating without anchorage; plants that must complete part or all of their life cycle in or near the water.
- aquatic vascular plants search for term
- - aquatic plants containing the conductive vascular tissue, phloem and xylem.
- arachnoid search for term
- - a. (Gr. arachme, spider, cobweb; eidos) like a cobweb; covered with or consisting of soft fibers or hairs so entangled as to give a cobwebby appearance.
- arcuate search for term
- - a. (L. arcuatus, pp. of arcuare, to arch, bend like a bow, from arcus, a bow) bent or curved in the form of a bow.
- aril search for term
- - n. (Fr. arrile, Sp. arillo, L. arilli, dried grapes, from aridus, dry) an additional covering that forms on some seeds after fertilization, and developing from the stalk of the ovule.
- aristate search for term
- - a. (L. arista, awn) awned; having an awn.
- articulate search for term
- - a. (L. articulatus, jointed, pp. of articulare, to join) having joints; jointed; provided with places where separation may take place.
- ascending search for term
- - v. (Fr. scandere, to climb) rising or curving upward.
- asepalous search for term
- - a. (Gr. a, without; L. pelatum, petal) without sepals.
- attenuate search for term
- - a. (L. attenuare, to thin) gradually narrowed to a long point at apex or base.
- auricle search for term
- - n. (L. auricle, small ear) any ear-like lobed appendages.
- aut- or auto- search for term
- - comb. form. (Gr. from autos) a combining form meaning self.
- autogamous search for term
- - adj., relating to, or reproducing by autogamy.
- autogamy search for term
- - n. (aut- + -gamy, Gr. -gamia, fr, gamos, marriage) self-fertilization, pollination of a flower by its own pollen.
- auxins search for term
- - growth promoting hormones that cause cell elongation, and are responsible for many developmental responses including phototropism.
- awn search for term
- - n. (Icel. ogen, chaff) a stiff, bristlelike appendage, usually at the end of a structure.
- axil search for term
- - n. (L. axilla, armpit) the angle found between any two organs or structures.
- axillary search for term
- - a. (L. axilla, armpit) in an axil, growing in an axil, as buds.