Aquatic, Wetland and Invasive Plant Glossary
| j | k
| q | r
Click one of the letters above to be taken to a page of all terms beginning with that letter.
- gametophyte search for term
- - n. (Gr. gamete, a wife; phyton, plant) the gamete-forming haploid phase in the alternation of plant generations.
- gamopetalous search for term
- - a. (Gr. gamos, marriage; phyllon, a leaf) having the petals united so as to form a tubelike corolla. Same as sympetalous.
- gamosepalous search for term
- - a. (Gr. gamos, marriage; sepalous) having the sepals united.
- gemma search for term
- - n. (L. gemma, a swelling, bud, gem) a bud or outgrowth of a plant which develops into a new organism. A leaf bud rather than a flower bud.
- gemmates search for term
- - a. (L. gemmare, to put forth buds) buds or outgrowths of a plant which develop into a new individual.
- gemmiparous search for term
- - a. (L. gemma, a bud; parere, to bear) to produce gemmates.
- geniculate search for term
- - a. (L. geniculatus, having knee joints, joints) bent like a knee; bent abruptly at the nodes.
- genotype search for term
- - n. (Gr. genos, race; type) the genetic constitution of an individual.
- genus search for term
- - n. (L. genus, race) a taxonomic group consisting of closely related species, genera being grouped into families; plural - genera; a. - generic.
- geophyte search for term
- - n. (Gr. ge, earth; phyton, plant) plants with an underground dormant part such as a tuber, bulb, rhizome, etc. to help the plant survive adverse conditions.
- gibberellins search for term
- - n. (Gibberella, a fungal genus) growth hormones that accelerate shoot growth. First discovered in the fungus Gibberella fujikuroi, and later in other plants.
- gibbous search for term
- - a. (L. gibbus, hump) a distended, rounded swelling on one side, as on a calyx or corolla tube or segment.
- glabrate search for term
- - a. (L. glaber, smooth) becoming glabrous with age.
- glabrous search for term
- - a., with a smooth, even surface; without hairs.
- glade search for term
- - n. (prob. Scand. golead, a lighting, illumination, fr. goleu, light, clear, AS. glaed, bright) open space surrounded by woods or a forest; a marshy and usually low-lying area; a periodically inundated grassy marsh often running between adjacent slopes; a marshy area bounding or forming the headwaters of a stream.
- gland search for term
- - n. (L. glands, acorn) a secreting part or appendage.
- glandular search for term
- - a. (L. glandula, small acorn) having or bearing secreting organs, glands, or trichomes.
- glandular-pubescent search for term
- - hairs or trichomes capitate and secretory.
- glaucous search for term
- - a. (L. glaucus, sea-green) bluish green; covered with a pale green bloom.
- globose search for term
- - a. (L. globosus, rounded as a ball) rounded; almost spherical; globular.
- glomerate search for term
- - vt. (L. glomus, a ball of yarn) to gather or wind into a ball; growing, collected or arranged in a rounded mass, as glands, flowers, etc.; clustered.
- glomerule search for term
- - n., a condensed cyme of almost sessile flowers; a compact cluster as of spores.
- glume search for term
- - n. (L. gluma, husk) a chaffy or membranous bract, a bract at the base of a grass inflorescence or spikelet.
- glutinous search for term
- - a. (L. gluten, glue) having a sticky, moist surface; a gluey or sticky exudation.
- guttation search for term
- - n. (L. gutta, drop) formation of drops of water on plants from moisture in air; the process of water being exuded from hydathodes at the enlarged terminations of veins around the margins of the leaves.
- Gymnospermae search for term
- - n. (Gr. gymnos, uncovered, naked; sperma, seed) an important division of the plant kingdom, being woody plants with alternation of generations, having the gametophyte retained on the sporophyte and seeds produced on the surface of the sporophylls and not enclosed in an ovary.
- gynaecium search for term
- - n. (Gr. gynaikeie, woman's part of a house) the female organs of the flower, consisting of one or more carpels forming one or several ovaries with their stigmas and styles.
- gynecandrous search for term
- - a., having staminate and pistillate flowers in the same spike or spikelet, the latter above the former.
- gynoecium search for term
- - n. (Gr. gyne, woman; oikos, house) the pistil or pistils of a flower, taken collectively; gynaecium.
- gynophore search for term
- - n. (Gr. gyne, woman; pherein, to carry) a stalk supporting the ovary.
- gynostegium search for term
- - n. (Gr. gyne, woman; stege, roof) a protective covering for a gynaecium, especially as formed by the union of stamens and style.