Aquatic, Wetland and Invasive Plant Glossary
| j | k
| q | r
Click one of the letters above to be taken to a page of all terms beginning with that letter.
- IAA search for term
- - Indole-acetic acid, a natural growth hormone found in plants.
- idioblasts search for term
- - n. (Gr. idios, one's own; blastos, a bud, offshoot) plant cells containing oil, gum, calcium, or other products, and appearing to help provide mechanical support.
- imbricate search for term
- - a. (L. imbricare, to tile) having parts overlapping each other like roof tiles.
- immersed search for term
- - a. (L. in, into; mergere, to dip, plunge) growing under water.
- imperfect flower search for term
- - a flower containing stamen and pistil organs required for pollination but lacking sepals or petals or both of these organs.
- incised search for term
- - a. (L. in, into; caedere, to cut) with sharp angles between the lobes; having deeply cleft margins.
- included search for term
- - a. (L. in, in; claudere, to shut, close) not projecting beyond an enclosing part.
- incrassate search for term
- - vt. (L. in, in; crassus, thick) becoming thick or thicker, especially toward a tip or margin.
- indehiscent search for term
- - a (L. in, not; dehiscens, gaping) fruits which do not open to release seeds, but whole fruit is shed from the plant; not opening to release spores.
- indigenous search for term
- - a. (L. in, within; gignere, to bear, produce) native; originating or occurring naturally in the place specified.
- indusia search for term
- - an outgrowth of tissue that covers the spore producing structures in ferns.
- inflorescence search for term
- - n. (L. inflorescere, to begin to blossom) a flower or putting forth blossoms; the mode of development and arrangement of flowers on an axis; a flowering branch.
- infructescence search for term
- - n. (L. in, into; fructus, fruit) the inflorescence in a fruiting stage; collective fruits.
- inter- search for term
- - (ME. enter-, inter-; OFr. entre-, inter-; L. inter- from inter, prep. between, among, during) a prefix meaning between, among - as intercellular.
- intercellular search for term
- - adj. lying between cells, as intercellular space in plant tissue.
- interference search for term
- - n. (L. inter, between; ferire, to strike) the overall influence of one plant or groups of plants on another, and encompasses allelopathy or competition, or both of these processes.
- internode search for term
- - n. (L. inter, between; nodus, knot) the portion of a stem between nodes.
- interspecific competition search for term
- - competition between species for nutrients, space, light, etc.
- intra- search for term
- - (L., from intra, within, inside) a combining form meaning within, inside of, as intracellular.
- intracellular search for term
- - adj., being or occurring within a body cell or within the body cells.
- intraspecific competition search for term
- - a type of competition whereby an individual plant competes with one or more members of the same species for nutrients, space, light, etc.
- invasive exotic search for term
- - an exotic that not only has naturalized but is expanding on its own in Florida plant communities.
- involucel search for term
- - n. (L. involucrum, covering) a secondary involucre, as the bracts subtending the secondary umbels in the Umbelliferae.
- involucre search for term
- - n., a group of closely placed bracts that subtend or enclose an inflorescence.
- involute search for term
- - a. (L. involutus, rolled up) leaves having the edges rolled inwards at each side, toward the adaxial side.
- involution search for term
- - n. (L. involutus, rolled up) a rolling inwards of leaves.