Aquatic, Wetland and Invasive Plant Glossary
| j | k
| q | r
Click one of the letters above to be taken to a page of all terms beginning with that letter.
- labiate search for term
- - a. (L. labium/em>, lip) lipped, as in a calyx or corolla.
- lacerate search for term
- - a. (L. lacer, mangled, lacerated) said of a margin torn irregularly.
- laciniate search for term
- - a. (L. lacinia, a hem) cut into narrow, jagged lobes or segments.
- lacunate search for term
- - a. (L. lacuna, cavity) with air spaces or chambers in the midst of tissue.
- lagoon search for term
- - n. (It. And Sp. laguna, fr. L. lacuna, a ditch, pool, fr. lacus, lake) a shallow lake or pond, especially one connected with a larger body of water; an area of shallow salt water separated from the sea by sand dunes; the area of water surrounded by an atoll, or circular coral reef.
- lake search for term
- - n. (ME. lake, lak; AS. lacu, a lake, pool; L. lacus, a hollow, a basin, tub, pool, lake) an inland body of water, usually fresh water, formed by glaciers, river drainage, etc., larger than a pool or pond.
- lamellate search for term
- - a., made up of thin plates or lamina.
- lamina search for term
- - n. (L. lamina, a thin peice of metal or wood) the expanded, blade part, of a foliar leaf, petal, etc.
- lanate search for term
- - a. (L. lana, wool) wooly, with long intertwined, curled hairs.
- lanceolate search for term
- - a. (L. lancea, a lance) shaped like a lance; broadest toward the base and narrowed to the apex, several times longer than wide.
- leaf search for term
- - n. (ME. leef fr. OE. leaf, akin to OHG. loub, leaf, foliage) a lateral outgrowth from a stem that constitutes part of the foliage of a plant and functions primarily in food manufacture by photosynthesis.
- legume search for term
- - n. (L. legere, to gather) a 1-locular fruit, usually dehiscent along two sutures, bearing seeds along the ventral suture; a leguminous plant.
- lemma search for term
- - n. (Gr. lemma, husk) the lower (abaxial), and larger, of two membranous bracts enclosing the flower in grass.
- lenticel search for term
- - n. (L. lens, lentis, lentil) corky spots on young bark, arising in relation to epidermal stomates.
- lenticular search for term
- - a. (L. lenticula, a lentil) shaped like a double-convex lens.
- lignify search for term
- - vt., to convert into wood or woody tissue; to become wood or woody by chemical and physical changes in the cell walls that convert some or all of the constituents into lignin or lignocellulose.
- lignin search for term
- - n. (L. lignum, wood) organic substances which act as binders for the cellulose fibers in wood and certain plants, and adds strength and stiffness to the cell walls. Chemical structure of lignin is composed of a polymer of high carbon content but distinct from the carbonates. Consists of C6,C3 units.
- ligulate search for term
- - a. (L. ligula, little tongue) having or pertaining to ligules.
- ligule search for term
- - n., hyaline extension of the leaf sheath on the adaxial side of the leaf.
- limb search for term
- - n. (AS. lim, limb) the spreading part of a synsepalous calyx or sympetalous corolla, usually referring only to the calyx or corolla lobes, sometimes to their lips.
- limnology search for term
- - n., the scientific study of physical, chemical, meteorological, and biological conditions in fresh waters.
- linear search for term
- - a. (L. linea, line) long and slender with parallel or nearly parallel sides.
- lip search for term
- - n. (AS. lippa, lippe, lip) the upper or lower part of a bilabiate calyx or corolla.
- lobulate search for term
- - a. (Gr. lobos, lobe) divided into small lobes.
- locular search for term
- - a. (L. loculus, a cell, box) having the nature of, or consisting of cells.
- locule search for term
- - n. (L. loculus, a cell, box) a compartment of an anther or an ovary.
- loculicidal search for term
- - a. (L. loculus, a cell, box; caedere, to cut) dehiscent dorsally down middle of carpels.
- lodicule search for term
- - n. (L. lodicula, coverlet) a scale at base of an ovary in grasses, supposed to represent part of a perianth.
- loment search for term
- - n. (L. lomentum, bean meal) a fruit of some legumes, contracted between the seeds, the 1-seeded segments separating at fruit maturity.
- long-day plant search for term
- - a plant that requires more than 12 hours of daylight before flowering will occur.
- lunate search for term
- - a. (L. luna, moon; -ate) crescent-shaped.