Aquatic, Wetland and Invasive Plant Glossary
| j | k
| q | r
Click one of the letters above to be taken to a page of all terms beginning with that letter.
- native search for term
- -a species whose natural range included Florida at the time of European contact (1500 AD).
- naturalize search for term
- - vt. (Fr. naturel, natural) to adapt to an environment not native; of foreign origin, but established and reproducing outside cultivation as though native.
- naturalized exotic search for term
- -an exotic that sustains itself outside of cultivation (it has not "become" native).
- nectar search for term
- - n. (L. nectar, nectar; Gr. nektar, the drink of the gods, from base of necros, dead, dead body, and tar-, who overcomes; hence, death overcoming; so named because the drink was held to confer immortality) the sweetish liquid in many flowers used by bees for the making of honey.
- nectary search for term
- - n. (Gr. nektar, nectar) a part of a flower that secretes nectar. pl. nectaries
- neomorphosis search for term
- - n. (Gr. neos, new; morphosis, change) regeneration in cases where the new part is unlike anything in the body.
- neoteny search for term
- - n. (Gr. neos, young; teinein, to extend, stretch) the retention of juvenile characteristics in the adult individual.
- neutral flower search for term
- - said of a sterile flower composed of a perianth without any sexual organs.
- node search for term
- - n. (L. nodus, knob) a knob or joint of a stem from which leaves, roots, shoots, or flowers may arise. A node will contain one or more buds.
- nodose search for term
- - a., nodular, knotty.
- nomenclature search for term
- - n. (L. nomen, name; calare, to call) the making and giving distinguishing names to all groups of plants.
- nut search for term
- - n. (ME. nute, note, fr. OE hnute; akin to OHG nuz, hnuz, nut) a hard-shelled dry fruit or seed having a more or less distinct separatable rind or shell and interior kernel or meat; a dry indehiscent one-seeded fruit with a woody pericarp developing from an inferior syncarpous ovary.
- nutlet search for term
- - a small nut.