Aquatic, Wetland and Invasive Plant Glossary
| j | k
| q | r
Click one of the letters above to be taken to a page of all terms beginning with that letter.
- obovoid search for term
- - a. (L. ob, against; ovum, egg; Gr. eidos, shape) inversely ovoid; roughly egg-shaped, with narrow end downwards; said of some fruits.
- oblanceolate search for term
- - a. (L. ob, reversely; lancea, spear) shaped like a lance point reversed, that is, having the tapering point next to the leafstalk.
- oblique search for term
- - a. (L. obliquus, slanting) slanting; unequal-sided.
- oblong search for term
- - a. (L. oblongus, rather long) elliptical and from two to four times as long as broad.
- obovate search for term
- - a. (L. ob, against; ovum, egg) inversely ovate; having the shape of the longitudinal section of an egg, with the broad end at the top, as some leaves.
- obsolete search for term
- - a. (L. obsolescere, to go out of use) rudimentary or not evident; applied to a structure that is almost suppressed; vestigial.
- obtuse search for term
- - a. (L. obtusus, blunt) with blunt or rounded end.
- ocean search for term
- - n. (ME. ocean; L. oceanus, fr. Gr. okeanos, the ocean) the great body of salt water that covers mores than two thirds of the surface of the earth; any of its five principal geographical divisions, the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic, and Antartic.
- ocrea search for term
- - n. (L. acrea, greave or legging) - a tubelike covering around some stems, especially of plants of the Polygonaceae.
- odd-pinnate search for term
- - said of compound leaves having an odd number of leaflets, this is usually easily determined because there is a single terminal leaflet.
- opposite search for term
- - a. (L. opponere, to oppose) said of leaves or bracts occurring two at a node on opposite sides of the stem. Said of flower parts when one part occurs in front of another.
- orbicular search for term
- - a. (L. orbis, circle) round or shield-shaped with petiole attached to center.
- ovary search for term
- - n. (L. ovum, an egg) the enlarged hollow part of a pistil in angiosperms in which ovules are formed.
- ovate search for term
- - a. (L. ovum, an egg) having the shape of a longitudinal section of an egg; egg-shaped and attached by the broader end.
- oviparous search for term
- - a. (L. ovum, an egg; parere, to produce) egg-laying; producing eggs which hatch after leaving the body of the female; germinating while still attached to the parent plant; for example, mangrove.
- oviposit search for term
- to deposit or lay eggs
- ovoid search for term
- - a. (L. ovum, an egg) egg-shaped.
- ovule search for term
- - n. (L. ovum, an egg) a structure in seed plants which contains the megasporangium (nucellus), megaspore (embryo sac), a food store, and a coat, and develops into a seed after fertilization.