Aquatic, Wetland and Invasive Plant Glossary
| j | k
| q | r
Click one of the letters above to be taken to a page of all terms beginning with that letter.
- raceme search for term
- - n. (L. racemus, bunch) inflorescence having a common axis and stalked flowers in acropetel succession.
- racemose search for term
- - a., an inflorescence whose growing points continue to add to the inflorescence and in which there are no terminal flowers, and the branching is monopodial, as racemes, or spikes.
- rachilla search for term
- - n. (Gr. rhachis, spine) the zigzag center upon which the florets are arranged in the spikelet of grasses or in some sedges.
- rachis search for term
- - n., the central prolongation of the stalk (peduncle), the axis through an inflorescence, or of a leaf stalk (petiole), the axis through a compound leaf.
- radially search for term
- - a. (L. radius, a ray, a rod, a spoke) arranged or having parts arranged like rays developing uniformly around a central axis.
- radially symmetrical search for term
- - said of a flower or set of flower parts which can be cut through the center into equal and similar parts along two or more planes; actinomorphic.
- ramet search for term
- - n. (L. ramus, branch) an individual member of a clone.
- receptacle search for term
- - n. (L. recipere, to receive) the more or less expanded apex of a floral axis which bears the floral parts.
- remote search for term
- - a. (L. remotus, to remove) separated from one another; separated by intervals or spaces greater than the ordinary.
- reniform search for term
- - a. (L. ren, kidney; forma, shape) having the form or shape of a kidney.
- repent search for term
- - a. (L. repens, crawling) said of a stem that is prostrate and rooting at the nodes.
- reticulate search for term
- - a. (L. reticulatus, latticed) like network.
- retinaculum search for term
- - n. (NL. fr. L. that which holds or binds, band, fr. retinere, to hold back, retain) the hook-like funicle of a seed of a plant of the family Acanthaceae; a band or band-like structure that holds an organ in place. pl. retinacula.
- retrorse search for term
- - a. (L. retrorsum, backward) having hairs or other processes turned toward the base.
- retuse search for term
- - a. (L. retuses, blunted) with a shallow, rounded notch at the apex.
- revolute search for term
- - a. (L. revolvere, to roll back) said of margins that are rolled backward (toward the abaxial side).
- rhizomatous tuber search for term
- - same as a corm.
- rhizome search for term
- - n. (Gr. rhiza, a root) a subterranean horizontal root-like stem sending out leaves and shoots from its upper surface and roots from its lower surface.
- rhombus search for term
- - n. (Gr. rhombos, object that can be turned) an outline like a rhomboid, a parallelogram with equal sides, having two oblique angles and two acute angles.
- root search for term
- - n. (AS. wyrt, root) the part of a plant, usually below the ground, that holds the plant in position, draws water and nutrients from the soil, stores food, and is typically non-green.
- root pressure search for term
- - pressure in the roots which, when the shoot is cut off, will cause liquid to secrete from the root stump; the mechanisms and tissues involved in this process are not clearly understood.
- root tuber search for term
- - swollen food-storing roots.
- rootlet search for term
- - n., a radicel; a little root or small branch of a root.
- rootstock search for term
- - same as a rhizome.
- roseate search for term
- - a. (L. roseus, rosy) rose-colored; rosy.
- rosette search for term
- - n. (Fr., Dim. of rose) a group of organs, such as leaves, clustered and crowned around a common point of attachment.
- rotate search for term
- - a. (L. rota, wheel) shaped like a wheel; radially spreading in one plane.
- rugose search for term
- - a. (L. ruga, a wrinkle) having or full of wrinkles; corrugated; ridged.
- rugulose search for term
- - a., same as rugose.
- runcinate search for term
- - a. (L. runcina, a plane) pinnatified, with the lobes convex before and straight behind, pointing backward, like the teeth of a saw, as in the dandelion leaf.
- runner search for term
- - n. (AS. rinnan, to run) a specialized stolon consisting of a prostrate stem rooting at the node and forming a new plant which eventually becomes detached from the parent plant as in a strawberry plant.