Aquatic, Wetland and Invasive Plant Glossary
| j | k
| q | r
Click one of the letters above to be taken to a page of all terms beginning with that letter.
- taenia search for term
- - n. (Gr. tainia, a ribbon or tape) formation of ribbon-like structure with little or no differentiation between the leaf blade and stem.
- tannins search for term
- - n. (L. tannum, oak bark) complex aromatic compounds some of which are glucosides, possibly giving protection or concerned with pigment formation.
- taxon search for term
- - n. (Gr. taxis, arrangement) a taxonomic category or unit, as a species or genus.
- taxonomy search for term
- - n. (Gr. taxis, arrangement; nomos, law) a science that includes identification, nomenclature, and classification of objects, and is usually restricted to objects of biological origin; orderly classification of plants according to their presumed natural relationships forming a basic biological discipline involving during its Linnean period the firm establishment of binomial nomenclature and acceptance of the static concept of fixity of the species, during its Darwinian period the dynamic concept of speciation by natural selection, and during its modern Mendelian epoch an expansion to include study of the mechanisms underlying speciation and related processes.
- tendril search for term
- - n. (O.Fr. tendrillon, tender sprig) a slender twining or clasping process, modified stem, leaf, or part of a leaf, by which some plants climb.
- tepal search for term
- - n. (Fr. tepale, from petale) denoting a unit of the perianth when the sepals and petals are essentially alike and not readily differentiated.
- terete search for term
- - a. (L. teres, round, smooth) nearly cylindrical in cross-section, as stems.
- ternate search for term
- - a. (L. terni, three each) growing in groups of threes, as some leaves.
- testa search for term
- - n. (L. testa, shell) the hard outer covering or integument of seed.
- thalloid search for term
- - a., of or resembling a thallus.
- Thallophyta search for term
- - n. pl. (Gr. thallos, a young shoot; phyton, a plant) a primary division of plants including all forms consisting of one cell and cell aggregates not clearly differentiated into root, stem, and leaf, including bacteria, algae, fungi, and lichens.
- thallus search for term
- - n. (Gr. thallos, a young shoot) a plant body that lacks differentiation into distinct forms of stems, leaves, roots, and does not grow from an apical point.
- therophytes search for term
- - n. (Gr. theros, summer; phyton, a plant) an annual plant that overwinters as a seed.
- thorn search for term
- - n. (ME., fr. OE.; akin to OHG. dorn, thorn, ON. thorn, Goth. thaurnus, thorn, Skt. trna, grass, blade of grass) a sharp rigid process on a plant; specif., a short, indurated, sharp-pointed, and leafless branch developed from a bud in a manner typical to a leafy branch.
- throat search for term
- - n. (Gr. drossel, the gullet) term applied to an expanded part of a corolla tube just below the lobes.
- thyrseus search for term
- - n. (Gr. thyrsos, wand) a panicle-like inflorescence consisting of a slender indeterminate main axis with lateral axes determinate, i.e., cymose.
- tiller search for term
- - n. (OE. telgor, telgra, branch, twig, shoot) sprout, stalk, especially one from the base of a plant or from the axils of its lower leaves.
- tissue culture search for term
- - the use of specialized methods to mass produce plants starting with small amounts of plant tissue.
- tomentose search for term
- - a. (L. tomentum, down) densely covered with short, matted hair.
- Tracheophyta search for term
- - n. (LL. trachia, windpipe; and Gr. phyton, plant) a division of plants comprising green plants with a vascular system that contains tracheids or tracheary elements, being the Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta, commonly called vascular plants.
- trichome search for term
- - n. (Gr. trichoma, a growth of hair) an outgrowth of the plant epidermis, either hairs or scales; a hair tuft; any hairlike outgrowth of the epidermis.
- trigonal search for term
- - a. (Gr. trigonos, triangular) triangular in cross-section as applied to stems.
- trigonous search for term
- - a., trigonal; having three prominent longitudinal angles, as a style or ovary.
- trimerous search for term
- - a. (Gr. tria, three; meros, part) composed of three or multiples of three.
- triploid search for term
- - n. (Gr. triplus, triple) having or being a chromosome number three times the monoploid number.
- triquetrous search for term
- - a. (L. triquetrus, three-cornered) triangular; having a triangular cross section.
- tristichous search for term
- - a. (Gr.tria, three; stichos, row) arranged in three vertical rows.
- truncate search for term
- - a. (L. truncatus, cut off) terminating abruptly, as if tapering end were cut off; cut squarely across, either at the base or apex of an organ.
- trunk search for term
- - n. (OFr. trone; fr. L. truncus, a trunk, stock, stem) the main stem or body of a tree, considered apart from its roots and branches.
- tuber search for term
- - n. (L. tuber, a swelling or knob on plants) the short, thickened fleshy food-storing portion of an underground stem with many surface buds, generally shaped like a rounded protuberance.
- tubercle search for term
- - n. (L. tuberculum, a swelling) a small rounded protuberance; root swelling or nodule; bubil; a surficial nodule; a thickened, solid, spongy crown or cap, as on an achene; a small tuber or tuberlike growth.
- turbinate search for term
- - a. (L. turbinatus, whirl, rotation) inversely conical; shaped like a cone resting on its apex.
- turion search for term
- - n. (L. turio, shoot) young scaly shoot budded off from underground stems, detachable winter bud used for perennation in many aquatic plants.
- twig search for term
- - n. (AS. twigge, twig) a small shoot or branch of a tree or other plant.