Aquatic, Wetland and Invasive Plant Glossary
| j | k
| q | r
Click one of the letters above to be taken to a page of all terms beginning with that letter.
- valvate search for term
- - adj. (NL. valvatus, fr. L., having folding doors) meeting at the edges without overlapping; opening as if by doors or valves.
- variety search for term
- - n. (L. varietas, variety) a taxonomic group below the species used in different senses by different specialists, including a race, stock, strain, breed, subspecies, geographical race, or mutant.
- vascular bundle search for term
- - a group of specialized cells consisting of xylem and phloem, sometimes separated by a strip of cambium and arranged in different patterns.
- vascular cambium search for term
- - lateral meristem that forms the secondary tissue and is located between the xylem and phloem.
- velamen search for term
- - n. (L. velamen, covering) a membrane; water-storing tissue in the outer layer of some roots.
- vernal search for term
- - a. (L. vernalis, of the spring) belonging to the spring; appearing or occurring in spring; of the spring season.
- verrucose search for term
- - a (L. verrucosus, full of warts, warty) warty; having little warts or wartlike growth on the surface.
- versatile search for term
- - a. (L. versatillis, turning around) turning freely on its support, as an anther attached near the middle and capable of swinging freely on the filament.
- verticil search for term
- - n. (L. verticillus, whorl) an arrangement of leaves, flowers, inflorescences, or other structures which surround the stem in a circle upon the same plane about the same point on the axis.
- verticillate search for term
- - a. (L. verticillus, whorl) growing in a whorl or arranged on the same plane around an axis, as flowers, leaves, branches, etc.; arranged in verticils, whorled.
- vesicle search for term
- - a. (L. vesicula, bladder) any small bladderlike structure, cavity, sac, or cyst; a small bladderlike sac filled with air.
- vestiture search for term
- - n. (L. vestitus, grament) that which covers a surface, as hairs, scales, etc.
- villous search for term
- - n. (L. villosus, hairy) pubescent; shaggy; covered with fine long hairs, but the hairs not matted.
- viscid search for term
- - a. (L. viscum, bird lime) thick, sirupy, and sticky, viscous; covered with a viscid substance as of leaves.
- viviparous search for term
- - a. (L. vivus, alive; parere, to produce) producing young alive rather than in eggs, as in most mammals; multiplying by vegetative means such as buds or bulbils in the position of flowers.