Earleaf greenbrier

Smilax auriculata -- Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants

Smilax auriculata

Native to Florida

This native vine commonly grows in sandills, flatwoods, hammocks, and thickets nearly throughout Florida (Wunderlin, 2003). Earleaf greenbrier blooms all year and usually occurs in non-wetlands (estimated probability 67%-99%), but occasionally is found in wetlands (estimated probability 1%-33%).

Earleaf greenbrier may be found growing year-round, from dry sandhills to wet hammocks. These pics were taken on a north Florida Atlantic beach.

It is one of about a dozen Smilax species found in the state. About two dozen Smilax species range over the eastern two-thirds of North America; this species, earleaf greenbrier, ranges only in the southeastern coastal states (Kartesz, 1999).