Environmental and Economic Concerns
- Grows several inches per day
- Forms dense canopies over emergent plants
- Creates floating mats on water surfaces
- Common weed throughout the tropics, especially in rice fields
- Potential for rapid dispersal by persons planting as a vegetable crop
- Under FWC eradication programs when found in ditches and canals
Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, Status of the Aquatic Plant Maintenance Program in Florida Public Waters, Annual Report – Fiscal Year 2009-2010.