Invasive Plant Laws
The USDA National Agriculture Library’s National Invasive Species Information Center
lists laws and regulations and can be searched using many different categories.
See the USDA Lists of Introduced, Invasive, and Noxious Plants for federal and state weed lists.
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Plant Industry is the regulatory state agency
responsible for the implementation of laws, rules, regulations, and various programs pertaining to plants and plant pests.
- Florida Noxious Weed List |
- Florida Prohibited Aquatic Plants |
- DACS-08208 – Application and Permit to Move Organisms Regulated by the State of Florida
Specific Legislation (Florida)
- 570.07 F.S. DACS functions, powers, and duties.
- 581.031 DPI powers and duties.
- 581.083 Introduction or release of plant pests, noxious weeds, or organisms affecting plant life; cultivation of nonnative plants; special permit and security required.
- 581.091 Noxious weeds and infected plants or regulated articles; sale or distribution; receipt; information to department; withholding information.
- 581.145 Aquatic plant nursery registration; special permit requirements.— (2) It shall be unlawful for any nursery or nursery stock dealer to import, transport, cultivate, collect, sell, or possess any
noxious aquatic plant listed on the prohibited aquatic plant list established by the Department of Environmental Protection in s. 369.25(3)(b) without a special permit issued by the department.
Rule: Chapter 5B-57
Introduction or Release of Plant Pests, Noxious Weeds, Arthropods, and Biological Control Agents
- 5B-57.001 Definitions
- 5B-57.002 Purpose
- 5B-57.004 Introduction, Possession or Movement of Arthropods, Biological Control Agents, Plant Pests, Noxious Weeds, and Invasive Plants, Regulated by the Department
- 5B-57.006 Regulation and Control of Noxious Weeds and Invasive Plants in Florida
- 5B-57.007 Noxious Weed List | Download PDF
- 5B-57.010 Noxious Weed and Invasive Plant Classification Procedures
- 5B-57.011 Biomass Plantings
- 5B-57.012 Casuarina cunninghamiana Windbreaks
Rule: Chapter 5B-64
Aquatic Plant Importation, Transportation, Non-Nursery Cultivation, Possession and Collection
(1) This act shall be known as the “Florida Aquatic Weed Control Act.”
(2) The Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission shall direct the control, eradication, and regulation of noxious aquatic weeds and direct the research and planning related to these activities, as provided
in this section, so as to protect human health, safety, and recreation and, to the greatest degree practicable, prevent injury to plant and animal life and property.
(3) It shall be the duty of the commission to guide and coordinate the activities of all public bodies, authorities, agencies, and special districts charged with the control or eradication of aquatic weeds
and plants. It may delegate all or part of such functions to any appropriate state agency, special district, unit of local or county government, commission, authority, or other public body.
(4) The commission shall also promote, develop, and support research activities directed toward the more effective and efficient control of aquatic plants. (View link above to see the full text of this Act.)
- 369.22 Aquatic Plant Management
- 369.25 Aquatic plants; definitions; permits; powers of department; penalties.
- 369.251 Invasive nonnative plants; prohibitions; study; removal; rules.
- 369.252 Invasive exotic plant control on public lands.
- 369.255 Green utility ordinances for funding greenspace management and exotic plant control.
Rule: Chapter 68F-20 Aquatic Plant Control Permits
Rule: Chapter 68F-54 Funding for Aquatic Plant Management